Naam cursusCreative imitation in ancient, medieval and Renaissance Latin literature
Cursusdatumsemester 1 (2022-2023)
Inschrijfdatum01/06/2022 - 25/09/2022
LocatieUtrecht on campus
Naam docentVincent Hunink (Radboud), Robert Flierman (UU) en nbt docent van Leiden Universiteit
E-mail contactpersoonVincent Hunink (Radboud)
Doel van de cursus
After successful completion of the course you are able:
1. to translate the Latin texts in correct Dutch or English
2. to analyze the grammatical and syntactical problems in the Latin texts;
3. to reflect in a critical manner on the form, style, content, and aspects of imitation in the Latin texts, with use of the subjects discussed in class and the secondary literature you have read.
4. to find and use medieval and neo-latin works in the three genres discussed in class;
5. to discuss the history of the three genres from Antiquity until the Renaissance.
6. apply the concept of creative imitation in the analysis of medieval and neo-latin literature, specifically in texts belonging to the three genres.
Imitatio as theory and method of production and consumption of Latin literary texts from Antiquity until the Renaissance.
1 class theoretical background, with source texts in translation and discussion of an example of creative imitation in Antiquity (Vergil and Ovid);
1 class medieval epic (Arator),
1 class ancient and Renaissance didactic epic (Lucretius, Fracastoro),
1 class ancient and medieval satire/parody (Petronius, Missa potatorum),
1 class Renaissance elegy.
NB The definitive choice of genres and texts will be determined by mutual agreement of the teachers.
UvA / VU
Students who need 6 ECTS may elect to read more source texts and secondary literature (1 ec). This must be determined with your lecturer in week 1.
Exam part 1 (Latin texts) tests course goals 1-3: 50%
exam part 2 (literary background/ essay) tests course goals 4-6: 50%
Scans of primary sources texts and secondary will be made available to the students.
5 seminars on friday mornings 11:00 -14:00
Dates on campus Utrecht: