Course NameCreative Imitation
Course datesemester 1 (2023 - 2024)
Registration open until
Instructor(s)Vincent Hunink (RU), Els Rose (UU) & Christoph Pieper (UL)
E-mail ContactVincent Hunink
After successful completion of the course you are able:
- to translate the Latin texts in correct Dutch or English
- to analyze the grammatical and syntactical problems in the Latin texts;
- to reflect in a critical manner on the form, style, content, and aspects of imitation in the Latin texts, with use of the subjects discussed in class and the secondary literature you have read.
- to find and use medieval and neo-latin works in the three genres discussed in class;
- to discuss the history of the three genres from Antiquity until the Renaissance.
- apply the concept of creative imitation in the analysis of medieval and neo-latin literature, specifically in texts belonging to the three genres.
Imitatio as theory and method of production and consumption of Latin literarry texts from Antiquity until the Renaissance.
- 1 class theoretical background, with source texts in translation and discussion of an example of creative imitation in Antiquity (Vergil and Ovid);
- 1 class medieval epic (Arator),
- 1 class ancient and Renaissance didactic epic (Lucretius, Fracastoro),
- 1 class ancient and medieval satire/parody (Petronius, Missa potatorum),
- 1 class Renaissance elegy.
The theme and some of the selected texts are well suited to present and discuss in the high school classroom.
Lectures/seminars. The course will take place on the campus of Utrecht university or online
Exam part 1 (Latin texts) (50%): Exam part 1 tests course goals 1-3
Exam part 2 (literary background/ essay) (50%): Exam part 2 tests course goals 4-6
UvA / VU 6 ECTS
To obtain 6 EC, UvA and VU students read more source texts and secondary literature (1 ec) in consultation with the teachers. This must be determined with your lecturer in week 1.
Background Literature and Course Materials
Scans of primary sources texts and secondary will be made available to the students
10/11/2023, 11h00-14h00 Kromme Nieuwegracht 80 – zaal 102, Utrecht Centrum
17/11/2023, 11h00-14h00 Kromme Nieuwegracht 80 – zaal 102, Utrecht Centrum
24/11/2023, 11h00-14h00 Kromme Nieuwegracht 80 – zaal 102, Utrecht Centrum
01/12/2023, 11h00-14h00 Kromme Nieuwegracht 80 – zaal 102, Utrecht Centrum
08/12/2023, 11h00-14h00 Kromme Nieuwegracht 80 – zaal 102, Utrecht Centrum
22/12/2023, 11h00-14h00 exam Kromme Nieuwegracht 80 – zaal 102, Utrecht Centrum